Model and property releases are required for all media to be sold as cleared for commercial use. Model and/or property releases may not be necessary for media intended for Editorial use (that is, media which is newsworthy or documentary in nature).
- Required for each recognizable individual
- Required for recognizable voices
- Must include a recognizable photo of the model that is not a frame grab of the model from the item submission itself
- Required if a recognizable landmark, building or property appears in the work
- Required if copyrighted music/sounds are in an audio track
- Required if media contains trademarks, logos, or brands
You can find our standard releases on our Legal page, under "Downloadable Release Agreements." It is not required that you use our releases for the media you upload, but if you use a different release it must contain essentially the same information.
Attaching a Model/Property Release
The three most important steps in assuring you have appropriate releases on Pond5 - upload your release, attach the release you uploaded to your media, and verify your attachment matches the media.
Acceptable formats of signed releases
Files must be at least 5KB in size. Releases can be uploaded via browser or via FTP.
Uploading Releases Via Browser
Uploading Releases Via FTP
- Log into the FTP as you normally would when you upload media.
- If you are not familiar with the FTP uploading process, check Uploading Media
- Create a root directory releases, if you do not see one already there already
- Drag and drop your release files inside the HTML5 uploader area or inside the releases folder of the FTP.
Release files are usually small file sizes, so the upload will finish almost instantly.
After you've uploaded the attachments, they will hover in your ftp releases folder for typically 2-10 minutes, depending on the ftp server load.
When the upload is finished, you should see the files that uploaded successfully in your Releases page.
Attaching Releases To Files
When your releases are uploaded and registered by the database, you can then attach them to your files.
- Log into your account > Hover cursor over account avatar > Click on Uploads
- Select the file the release will be applied to
- Scroll down to Actions:
- Choose attach release from the dropdown
- Select the corresponding release from the drop-down menu
- If your list of releases are too long to scroll through in the drop-down, simply type the first few letters of the release filename in the Filter field and hit Update. Then select the relevant release file from the drop-down menu and
- Click Execute
- A pop-up confirmation window will appear if the attachment of your release file(s) is successful
Checking Attached Releases
You can verify how many releases are attached to your clip(s) by refreshing the Uploads page.
- Find Clip Details tab
- Under the Attachments column the number next to the attachment icon indicates how many releases have been associated with your clip.
- To check which release is attached to a specific clip, hover cursor over the number next to attachment icon and click. A list of the release filenames will display.
Still need help? Contact us!